At Fort Dayton, near this site, General
Nicholas Herkimer took command of the Tryon County Militia and on August
4, 1777 began the eventful march, which terminated in the Battle of
Placed by General Nicholas Herkimer Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution of Herkimer, June 14, 1912.
(40-Mile Route Marker)
In front of the Herkimer County Courthouse is a Fort Dayton marker, which was near this location. The construction of Fort Dayton was begun in 1776 for the defense of the Mohawk Valley.
News reached Fort Dayton of St. Legerís approach in June of 1777. On the 17th of June, General Herkimer called up the Tryon County Militia for field service. Just before he began his eventful march to Oriskany, he sent a small detachment of about 200 militiamen by river supply boats to Fort Stanwix to reinforce General Gansevoort. They managed to arrive just before St. Leger laid siege to the fort.
On August 4, 1777, General Herkimer formed up about 800 militiamen from his brigade as well as a long train of supplies destined for Fort Stanwix. They departed Fort Dayton for the fateful journey to Oriskany.
In mid-August, Major General Benedict Arnold arrived at Fort Dayton with a detachment of about 800 men from Saratoga for the relief of Fort Stanwix. While here at Fort Dayton, Arnoldís attention was diverted by the mother of a convicted spy pleading for her sonís life. He hatched a scheme where in return for his life, her other son would carry information to the British forces besieging Fort Stanwix that a vast American army was coming up the valley for the relief of Fort Stanwix.
The scheme worked and Arnold returned to Saratoga to make a powerful contribution to the victory there.
Gift of Hon. Warner Miller. Placed on the boulder and presented to the Village of Herkimer by General Nicholas Herkimer Chapter D.A.R. in memory of those how have died for our country.
Statue of General Nicolas Herkimer ó A small park in Herkimer was the site of an early village burying ground. Today, it is a quiet park that contains the statue of General Herkimer.
Onto Fort Herkimer, New York
Back to a Revolutionary Day