Books

US4 NY5 US7

US9

US9W US20 US60 US202 US221 Canal

WILLIAMSTOWN

MASSACHUSETTS


Williamstown was founded in 1753. Near the center of the town is the oldest home. It is at the corner of Water Street (Route 43) and Latham Street. In front of the home is a marker. 

The northern part of the house is one of the earliest extant structures in town. Built about 1767 in regulation size, it was enlarged to become a salt box. In the mid 1970's, it was enlarged to its present form.

A few blocks further north on Water Street is the intersection with Massachusetts Route 2, the famous Mohawk Trail. The Mohawk Trail follows the old Native American trail originally used by the Mohawk Indians. The trail goes through the Berkshires to Boston and passes by the very important Revolutionary War towns of Lexington and Concord, but thatís part of another Revolutionary Day. 

The intersection at Water Street and Route 2 is also near the center of Williams College, which was founded in 1793. Just up the hill to the left, Route 2 intersects with US Route 7. At the intersection is a park that contains the 1753 House. The house was constructed for the Williamstown Bicentennial in 1953 with tools and materials used in 1753. 

Also in the park is a meetinghouse marker. 

SITE OF THE FIRST MEETING HOUSE

This park was the site of the first meeting house built in 1768 and removed in 1797 to make way for a second meeting house completed in 1798 and destroyed by fire on January 21, 1866.

The first meetinghouse was likely visited on May 2, 1775 by the patriot forces enroute to Ticonderoga. At the time of their visit, they consisted of: 

Additional men were recruited in Williamstown to join the Berkshire volunteers for the assault on Fort Ticonderoga. 

The park was also the site of West Hoosic Fort used in the French and Indian War in 1756. There are two markers near the Williams Inn that recount the history of the fort and its defenders. 

About a mile further north on Route 7 is a bridge across the Hoosic River. Just over the bridge on the left is the River Bend Farm Bed & Breakfast. In front of the B&B is a marker. The home was formerly owned by Colonel Simonds. A stone memorial at the Bennington Battlefield (an upcoming stop) notes the valuable service rendered by the Massachusetts Forces under his command.

RIVER BEND 
FARMHOUSE TAVERN

Built about 1770 by Benjamin Simonds who was captured at Fort Massachusetts 1746, redeemed in 1747, soldier at the West Hoosic 1750-1756, first settler, 1752, father of the first child born in this town, colonel in the Revolutionary War and commander of the Massachusetts Forces at the Battle of Bennington.


Enroute to Old Bennington, VT


Onto Old Bennington

Back to a Revolutionary Day