US9W US20 US60 US202 US221 Canal



Quackenbush House

Circa 1730, the oldest existing structure in the city of Albany. The house is considered to be one of the finest remaining examples of Dutch urban architecture in this country. The original stepped front gable was modified to its present federal style when the house was expanded around 1790 by Colonel Hendrique Quackenbush, who inherited the home from his father. Colonel Quackenbush was the leader of Albany’s 5th Military Regiment which fought against Burgoyne’s army at Saratoga in 1777. The house remained connected to the Quackenbush-Lansing family until after the American Civil War.

Quackenbush House – In Quackenbush Square is the Quackenbush house and the Albany Visitor Center. The house is the former home of Hendrick Quackenbush, an officer who served in the Revolutionary War. After Saratoga, Quackenbush was responsible for the prisoner, General John Burgoyne, and it is believed that he was a prisoner/guest at the house. Today, it is the oldest house in Albany and is currently the home of Nicole’s Bistro, a very popular local restaurant. 

Albany Visitor Center – Next to the Quackenbush House is the Albany Visitor Center. In the center are many exhibits that cover the history of Albany. They include many old drawings and maps of Albany from the Revolutionary War period as well as periods before and after. At the center, you can pick up a pamphlet entitled, “Capital City! A Walking Tour.” The complete tour is recommended on a longer visit to the area. 

The Tricentenial Park – Diagonally across the street from Quackenbush Square is Tricentenial Park. The park was built in 1986 and commemorates Albany’s 300th anniversary from 1686. 

First Church in Albany (Reformed)

Organized 1642 present building designed by Philip Hooker erected 1796.  

State Education Department 1927  

First Church in Albany – Diagonally across from Tricentennial Park is First Church. Inside is the oldest pulpit and weathercock in America brought from the Church of Amsterdam in 1656. On top of the building is a replica of the weathercock, bullet holes and all. 

Schuyler Mansion

Erected 1762. The home of Major General Philip Schuyler of the American Revolution. Patriot, soldier, statesman. 1733-1804. Acquired by the State of New York in 1911. Restored and dedicated on October 17, 1917.


The Schuyler Mansion – Philip Schuyler’s Revolutionary War home is a state historic site preserved on the southeast side of the city. Parking is available behind the mansion, which is open Wednesday-Saturday, 10am-5pm, Sunday, 1-5pm. The small carriage house near the mansion is the Visitor Center. You are instructed to ring the bell for a tour, which is recommended on a longer visit to the area. 

There are two markers at the front of the house, one at the approach to the front door of the mansion and another at the top of the steps. 

Burgoyne was also a prisoner/guest at the Schuyler Mansion. He stayed here with his 20-member staff for ten days before moving on to Boston. During that time, he and his staff enjoyed the hospitality of Philip Schuyler’s wife, Catherine Van Rensselaer Schuyler. 

In December 1780, the Marquis de Chastellux wrote: "A handsome house, halfway up the bank opposite the ferry, seems to attract the eye and to invite strangers to stop at General Schuyler's who is its owner as well as its architect. I had recommendations to him from all quarters, but particularly from General Washington and Mrs. Carter, Schuyler's daughter. On shore was the Chevalier de Mauduit, who was waiting for us with the General's sleigh and found ourselves in an instant in a handsome drawing room near a good fire with Mr. Schuyler, his wife and daughter. While we were warming ourselves, dinner was served to which everyone did honor as well as to the Madiera which was excellent and which made us completely forget the rigor of the season and the fatigue of the journey."

Alexander Hamilton and the Schuylers’ daughter, Elizabeth were engaged in March 1780. Their marriage took place at the mansion in December of the same year. Alexander Hamilton served under George Washington as his Aide-de-Camp and trusted advisor for four and a half years. After his marriage in July 1781, he served under Lafayette and participated in the siege at Yorktown. 

Also in the summer of 1781, the Schuyler Mansion was attacked by a band of Tories. The attackers attempted to take Schuyler prisoner, but he was prepared for the attack and fought them off from his bedroom. To this day, there is a hatchet mark on the stairway banister that resulted from a thrown tomahawk during the attack. 


By 1676, the Fort Orange stockade stood crumbling, decrepit, almost worthless. The British built a new fort atop State Street hill not far from where the Capitol now stands. Fort Frederick, though never attacked, dominated Albany for more than a century. When dismantled in 1784, its stones were used to build some of Albany’s churches. 

Fort Frederick – In 1777, Fort Frederick was target-center for the British invasion. The site of Fort Frederick can be reached by heading past First Church on Broadway and turning right on Pine Street to Eagle Street. There are several markers on Eagle Street near the State Capital. One of the markers is a ground marker near the road. Fort Frederick was built by the British in 1675. 

City Hall – City Hall is at the intersection with Eagle Street. In front of City Hall is a statue of General Philip Schuyler. Although the statue depicts a stern, strong and triumphant Schuyler, it is often characterized as “brooding” — this, in reference to his failed invasion of Canada in 1776, the loss of Fort Ticonderoga in 1777 and his replacement by General Horatio Gates as Commander of the Northern Department of the Continental Army prior to the battles of Saratoga. 

Schuyler was later vindicated by Congress and should be remembered more for his ability in building and supplying the army’s Northern Department. The British retreated twice from the army that he built, once at Fort Ticonderoga and Mount Independence in 1776 and again at Saratoga in 1777. 

Just up the street from City Hall heading west is a highway marker. The marker highlights Albany’s place as a crossroad. During the Revolution, military roads ran north, south, east and west from Albany. Today, interstates, US highways and railroads do the same as well as the waterways that run west, north and south. 

The Kings Highway

First road to Schenectady began here near the west gate of the Albany Stockade.


Loudon Ferry Marker --  The marker indicates that Knox crossed the Mohawk here. In the early 1800’s, the Erie Canal also crossed the Mohawk River at this site. The aqueduct was a wooden structure supported by twelve stone piers. Today, US Route 9 crosses the Mohawk River and the Erie Canal, which are one and the same at this site. The marker also indicates that Enoch Poor’s Brigade encamped in this area in 1777. Many American units camped in this area and the area ahead in preparation for the British invasion from Canada. 

Loudon Ferry Road 

1755 — constructed as military road from Albany to Lake George by provincial troops from New York, New England and New Jersey under command of Major General William Johnson. 

Named in honor of Major General John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudon. Commander in Chief of his Majesty’s Forces in America. French and Indian War. 

1776 — General Henry Knox’s train of artillery crossed here to aid General George Washington in the siege of Boston. 

Military Route Northern Department Continental Army. 

1777 — Used as Camp Ground of General Enoch Poor’s Brigade. 

Erected by New York State Education Department City of Cohoes, Cohoes Historical Society, 1938 

(Cohoes Marker)

Saratoga Lake

Onto Saratoga Battlefield

Back to a Revolutionary Day