US9W US20 US60 US202 US221 Canal



Trial of Andre

The British spy, André, was found guilty in the Dutch church which stood, in 1780, on the side of this edifice.

State Education Department 1932

(Reformed Church Marker)

Village Church Green — On the green, a marker denotes the site of a former county courthouse. At one time you could find a Liberty Pole, stocks, whipping posts and a pound for stray cattle on the green.

The Dutch church is the Reformed Church of Tappan and was organized in 1694. The present church was built in 1835 and is the third church at this site. The second church was the one in which the André trial was held as denoted by a marker on the side of the church. It was also a prison and a hospital in 1778.

“76 House”

Where Major John André, British spy, plotter with Arnold to deliver West Point, was confined before his execution.

(‘76 House Marker)  

Old ‘76 House — Just past the village green near the light at the center of town is the Old ‘76 House. The house was built in 1755 and didn’t become a tavern until 1800. André was imprisoned here as denoted by the marker in the front.

De Wint House

Washington’s headquarters, September 28 — October 2, 1780, during the trial of André, British spy, plotter with Benedict Arnold.

(DeWint House Marker) 

DeWint House — The house is south of town and can be reached by car by turning onto the street just before the El Portico Restaurant. There is a marker on the right just after a bridge over a small stream.

The DeWint House is the oldest surviving structure in Rockland County and a good example of Colonial Dutch architecture. For over the last 60 years, The Masons have maintained the house as a National Historic Site and a memorial to General Washington. The property is open to the public and free of charge, donations accepted.

The Carriage House, which is adjacent to the DeWint House, is the visitors center and contains many historical displays including a display about Washington the Man, Washington the General, Washington the President and Washington the Mason.

Washington's Flag 1775

This is a reproduction of the personal flag used by General George Washington as the Commander-in-Chief during the Revolutionary War.

Presented by R. W. Ronald J. Steiner, Chairman, George Washington Masonic Historic Site Committee in memory of his father, Brother Morton Steiner, September 29, 1991.

(DeWint House Marker)

The DeWint House was George Washington's temporary headquarters on four separate occasions.

  1. From August 8 to 24, 1780, Washington stayed at the house while he was inspecting a redoubt on the Hudson.
  2. Washington returned to the house on September 28, through October 7, 1780, for the trial and subsequent hanging of the British spy, Major John André. André had been captured after a meeting with American General, Benedict Arnold, at which they made plans to betray the fortifications at West Point.
  3. Three years later - May 4 through 8, 1783, Washington and his key staff again headquartered at the DeWint House while negotiating the final withdrawal of British troops from New York City with British General, Sir Guy Carleton. Samuel Fraunces (owner of Fraunces Tavern in New York City) came up to prepare the dinner for Washington and his guest.
  4. On November 11-14, 1783, the weather brought Washington to the DeWint house during a terrible snowstorm on his trip to visit West Point and later to New York City where he tendered his resignation. During the War he had forbidden his soldiers to play cards because it took time away from the pursuit of the war. Now, with the fighting over, a much more relaxed Washington took off his boots and played cards.


Treason House

At Joshua Hett Smith’s home, here Sept. 22, 1780, Benedict Arnold betrayed the plans of West Point to British spy Maj. André.

Historical Society, Rockland County

(West Haverstraw Marker)

Dee’s Country Deli: The deli is a great place to grab a sandwich for lunch at one of several picnic areas at the Stony Point Battlefield, all with beautiful views high over the Hudson.


An African-American was dispatched from this area by General Anthony Wayne to gain entrance to the Stony Point fort occupied by the British on the night of July 15-16, 1779. Under the guise of night trips to sell farm produce, Pompey had obtained the British password. He distracted the sentinels, enabling the Continental Army to storm and capture the fort. Pompey later served in the Orange County Militia.

Sponsored by the African-American Historic Society of Rockland County, established 1987.

(Stony Point Marker)

Onto Stony Point Battlefield, NY 

Back to a Revolutionary Day